Being two days past his due date we were all getting anxious. My Mom was only going to be with me until Sunday and I really wanted her with us. Around Thursday morning at 1:44 I woke up to what felt like contractions. I laid in the bed comparing everything I had read about contractions to what I was feeling. I turned over to watch the clock and counted as the feelings became minutes apart. I woke up Ryan to count with me at 4 minutes apart I knew it was time to go. By the time we got to the hospital I had exceeded the "deep breathing" and had gone into the "Hee Hees". By the time we got into the room I was into the "Hee hee Hoos" and was 6 cm dilated.......and completely ready for the epidural. It took forever for the anaesthesiologist to come to the room (he didn't think I was far enough along to get the epidural) after being checked I was already dilated to an 8. Finally getting the drugs I needed (THANK GOODNESS FOR EPIDURALS!!) Dr. Spence broke my water and I dilated to a 10 - time to push! Brigham was face up (the wrong way) I was put into all sorts of positions to push in hopes that he would turn. After two hours of pushing he was stuck and wasn't going to move any further. Dr. Spence looked to me and said, "I think we'd better do a C-section". Now, I'm not against a C-section. I was a C-Section baby, but in our tiny hamlet of a hospital their policy is "Once a C-section. Always a C-section" it is kind of a bummer to have that mandate fall on me, but it was a good thing.
They wheeled me into the operation room, I was shaking - totally shaking - with a good mix of fear, anxiety and adrenaline. Ryan got into scrubs and once everything was ready to go he came in to sit with me. I asked him to talk to me and get my mind off of things and so he decided that it would be a prime opportunity to pull out the camcorder and update "everyone" on what was going on - I wanted to kill him - then the Dr. said, "Dad you can stand up and peek over if you want" just as Ryan stood up and moved the camcorder to peer over the sheet they pulled Brigham up and out and the most beautiful sound in the world filled the room, Brigham's crying, which then made me start to cry because, as most of you know, him and all of his sounds of being alive was what I needed/wanted/hoped/prayed/wished to hear the most. I heard one Dr. say, "he's got a pretty big head" and a nurse comment, "He feels like 9 lbs".......it made me happy to have a C-section (the poor kid would probably be wearing my hips as a sombrero today if we didn't). Ryan went with Brigham to the nursery and I stayed there, getting stitched up, trying to talk the Dr.'s into taking out some hip fat while they were poking around in there. By the time they wheeled me into my bedroom my little man was ready to eat - and he hasn't stopped since! We've had quite a first week. Extra days at the hospital trying to get his billiruben count down (jaundice) with billiruben tables and blankets all around, learning how much (and often) a baby needs to eat and learning how much less you are going to sleep .....soooooo tired!!
But I sit in amazement, just looking at my little guy, and thinking about all the time and prayers in took to get him here and just being blown away at the fact that he actually is here!! We are grateful for all of the prayers, wishes and good thoughts that have been sent our way during this whole pregnancy and are so happy to share this joyful moment with all of you!
16 comments:
AMAZING!!! LOVE ALL THE PICTURES AND YOU MAKE ME LAUGH! Did Ryan get them pulling him out on film??? That is great! We couldn't be happier for you guys! Here's what I've learned, your body will just adjust to less sleep and the one time you'll be able to sleep in you won't be able to because your body will now be trained to function on less sleep! oh well!
Congratulations guys! I can't think of two better people to be raising that little guy. You're going to be amazing.
Aw, Michelle!!! Congratulations. :) I love his long, dark hair and chubby cheeks. The last picture of the slideshow it looks like he's making kissy lips and it's adorable.
Michelle! He is so beautiful! I love how he looks so different in each one of his pictures. I am so glad that everything went well! Everything went perfect. And he is so PERFECT! I absolutely CANNOT wait until I get to hold him.
And someday you will get more sleep...or maybe you just adjust to not getting any sleep. hmm. not sure on that one. =) I love you!!!
Yipee!!! So cute! Congrats, Congrats, Congrats! You will be tired for a while. I'm still tired and Jocee is almost 3.
I am so happy for you both! He is so adorable...I can't wait to meet him. Congrats again...=)
Steineckert Family were are so happy and excited for you. We are glad Brig is here and safe and the perfect little bundle of joy. Now is the time to really enjoy life. Congrats!!!
Michelle, I am overcome. He is beautiful. You guys are awesome. I love you both and your new precious baby. Can't wait to meet him!!!!!!!
Amazing, amazing, amazing! I loved his story. He has to be one of the most beautiful newborns I've ever seen!!!! What a handsome guy and what a strong, beautiful name. I feel so blessed to be able to see you go through this even a little bit. I can't imagine how you felt when you heard those first cries. Love you so! Enjoy the lack of sleep- he won't stay a tiny steiny for nearly long enough, I promise!
I'm seriously so happy for you Michelle. Congrats on a happy health baby boy. And good luck with the next few weeks.
Congrats! That is so exciting and I am glad to hear everyone is doing well.
I've watched that photo slideshow at least three full times. I am so happy for you and can't wait to meet him!!
congratulations!!!! Babies are miracles for sure.
He is so darling! Giving birth is really such a huge miracle. I think people forget that sometimes. So glad that things went well and that you are all healthy and happy. Congrats!!
Yeah!!! Finally I get to see him through the post! What a beauty- we are so happy for you! Can't wait till they can get together and hang out like their papas!
Michelle, I'm so overjoyed for you that little Brigham is here. I know what a struggle it was to get him here and it brings tears to my eyes to see how beautiful and worth it he is. It gives some of us hope for that moment. Congrats to your beautiful family!
Post a Comment