Music Man is going to be performing next week!!! (July 24th & 25th for those of you who would love to see some community theater.....that's really far away!). I feel like I've been working on this show (I'm directing it - CRAZY WOMAN THAT I AM!!!) for years and on the other hand I feel like I've been working on it for three days (the reality is about two months). We are in the final stretch of rehearsing where we are starting to run through the entire show. It's hot, I'm stressed and feeling the pressure! There hasn't been a musical community theater production here since the 80's (they cut drama from the high school and that ended that - glad to keep our losing football team though!) and I think everyone has really high expectations...can I meet those? The Dr. Lewis quote has been boring into my brain over and over "If a show goes well the audience congratulates the actors. If the show goes badly the audience blames the director." - AAAAAAH!!! I feel like my brain has been fried and is fizzling out of my ears & my cast - they need encouragement, excitement, pep, wise words from their director who is wondering how the captain of the Titanic felt before they hit the iceberg.
Now, to make things clear I understand that not everything can be perfect and my cast is trying their hardest (community theater isn't suppost to be perfect-that's what makes it fun to go to) and I think they have made really good strides and have improved greatly. I know that the show will be fine and people will like it and others will hate it and life will go on, but two questions:
1. The director encourages the cast - who is going to encourage the director?
2. Has anyone else poured their heart, soul, time, effort, money, sanity into a project and wondered right before they finished "what the hell did I get myself into" and wondered if they are going to get out alive?
Anyone?
Now, don't get too worried about me. I'm mainly venting for my own stress relief. There is nothing like a challenge with something that you are not fully proficient on to point out all of your weaknesses (I only took two directing classes in college and directing a musical vs. play are two greatly, large, different, furry monsters).
Oh boy do I have weaknesses!!!
5 comments:
You're incredibly talented!!! If I lived closer, I would totally come to support you. Actually, if I lived closer, I would have auditioned and been cast as Marion the Librarian. :) Apparently I'm an optimist.
Good Luck! I know you and your cast will do very well! I don't know you to fail at well...hmmm. anything! =) I am excited for you though, I think this will be a neat experience for you. I SO wish that I could come...I would love to see it. sniff sniff. Someday I will get to come to something you direct! have fun! i know it will be fabulous!
Welcome to the life of a teacher! I feel like that every year right before end of level tests! I always try to think, "I've done what I can and I couldn't make them learn something if they didn't want to or were not ready for it." I am sure it will turn out great and remember that you did all you could, except doing it for them.
HOLY MOLY THIS WILL BE A GREAT PRODUCTION. You are probably just in "oh shit" week, some of those last more than a week. These things always come together. And if there hasn't been a production since the 80's. . . then what are they comparing it to?! It will be great. . . Dr. Lewis' advice will be on your side this time and you will get MUNDO CREDIT!!!
YAY MIKE!!!
I hear that last night went great! Gramps I heard forgot his lines but that it was cute and funny and that everything else went fabulous! We didn't expect anything less from you! We are going to try and come tonight...if the kids will cooperate, not sure if they'll find it entertaining or just cry. But we sure love you guys and think you are great! It is almost over!!! YAY!!
Post a Comment