March 4, 2009

Doughnuts!




Oh those beautiful, delectable, pieces of fried, sugared, dough! Heidi & I (minus our third culinary-musketeer Candace) had never made doughnuts before, but took on the challenge. They turned out rather well and .....rather tasty! Sadly, there were some victims of our green-baking thumb. My slotted spoon melted (it's amazing how hot oil can get) and my candy thermometer. While fishing out the last doughnut hole I wondered why there was red liquid swirling in the oil and then it hit me....the candy thermometer! Popped, cracked...died. But the doughnuts in the end were well worth it! Yummy!

4 comments:

*Aliese* said...

Holy cow! I can't believe it burst your candy thermometer, those things are supposed to withstand hardcore heat. That's definitely impressive.

Cindy said...

Oh heavens, I am addicted to sugary splendor right now! That top right one is especially calling for me! You ladies are amazing!

shelley said...

Mmmm... Doughnuts... (think Homer) :)

Amylee said...

OH my goodness! You are BRAVE to make dounuts! I wish you could bring them to my house; I have been spending too much on them lately because I crave them. I have only melted one slotted spoon and it was when I was trying to cook cellophane noodles for chinese food.