September 6, 2008

Exploring Burns


So since we have been living in Burns for 3 years now......& I have no idea why this is all underlined. We decided to see the two "Big Sites" that Burns supposedly has to offer. The Steens Mountains are really quite amazing. When we were drivng to the Steens I really didn't see why they called it a mountain; it looked so small! But we started going higher and higher and before long we were looking down on some really beautiful land. Granted the Steens have NOTHING on the Rockies, but it was still worth seeing. The next stop was the Pete French Roundbarn which was really kind of funny. They have commericals on the radio that state "It's a unique shopping experience, with clean public restrooms" and "your guests will be so impressed with your knowledge of Harney County they will want to come again and again." Well, the shopping was unique I don't know many places that sell so many different versions of Monopoly like: Catopoly, Dogopoly, Horseopoly & Rodeopoly. The public bathrooms were very clean & as for our knowledge of Harney County: "Peter French came to Harney County and built a round barn." Impressed?
While we were up in the Steens there were multiple signs posting to look for big horned sheep that were all over that area. It wasn't until we were heading home & on the other side of the mountain that we saw some. So the last picture on the slide is not a two headed dog, which they actually looked like when we drove up to them, but two big horned sheep.


2 comments:

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

I thought of you last week and well although I didn't wish you a happy birthday on your actual birthday I hope this still means something. HAPPY BIRTHDAY last Wednesday! I hope it was a great day. Sounds like you celebrated in a fun way! :)

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

Your last picture is kind of spooky looking... Did they just come out of nowhere?